Emergency Flood Restoration in San Diego is of utmost importance when faced with a water damage crisis. Surprisingly water damage is widespread —for example, broken pipes, leaking appliances, drainage system troubles, overflowing toilets, etc.
House furniture, floor, carpets, documents, electronic gadgets, etc., are all at risk of damage during such situations. Now is when Emergency Flood Restoration San Diego comes to our aid.
Adhering to the following five steps would help deal with the crisis.
Protection of the family and valuables during flooding and water damage is crucial. It is essential to make sure that you and your family are safe. One may do it in the following ways.
Turn Off the Power
Water and electricity do not go hand in hand. It could lead to risking everybody’s lives. Do not try turning off the power source if it involves being in contact with water. Call an electrician instead and wait outside till then.
Use Protective Gear
Use rubber boots and gloves to avoid electric shocks. Wear masks and gloves to shield yourself from bacteria and infections.
All necessary documents and valuables are at risk during flooding inside the house. It is crucial to collect and remove official documents and IDs. Lift wooden furniture that is in contact with water; otherwise, it will damage it. Remove carpets since they may become a breeding ground for germs and bacteria. Remove electronic gadgets from water-clogged areas to avoid any further damage.
Shift Out Till Water Damage and Flooding Are Fixed
The primary step is to find a temporary place to stay when the house is under repair. Under no circumstance is it possible to take shelter in the same house flooded with water. Moving furniture to a dry area is also very important. If unable to shift it to the place of temporary stay, one may move the belongings to the neighbor’s house for the time being.
2. Call the Insurance Company
Water Damage and flooding repair can cost a fortune. Hence, the next important step is to call the house insurance company. The insurance coverage will differ based on the policy. The company will send an official to assess the level of water damage and determine if the company would cover the losses.
Usually, insurance policies cover flood damage.
3 Call in the Professionals
While relocation of furniture and appliances is necessary, one must contact the repair agencies immediately. The damage control by professionals should ideally start within 24 to 48 hours after the damage. It must be kept in mind that the work professionals can undertake cannot be handled by themselves.
The process would involve a few of the following:
- Removing flooring since wooden flooring would immediately get damp and damaged due to prolonged contact with water
- Drywall construction on damp walls involves applying borders without using mortar or plaster. It is a process through which various large rigid sheets of finishing material help. The installation is quick and repair is easy.
- Insulation also prevents the growth of mildew in the house. Fiber insulation helps resist any water damage and mold growth. Fiberglass is resistant to mold by nature.
- Document the level of furniture damage. It helps claim insurance from furniture companies for bulky furniture like beds, sofas, etc., and the same for televisions, mobile phones, refrigerators, etc.
- Wet dry vacuums are very valuable in such situations. It helps dry out everything minutely. Alongside it cleans up the dirt as well.
- A dehumidifier removes the water from the air, reducing the likelihood of mold, bacteria, and fungi development.
4 Drying out Water Damage
While the professionals are on their way, the idea is to be active. In a flooded house, it is necessary to start removing water immediately. It can be with the use of buckets and plastic tubs. Removal of excessive water helps expedite the process of damage control and repair. After that, a mop stick dries out of the water.
It is also fundamental to discard any appliance or thing that is beyond fixing and already in ruins. Otherwise, it makes the condition worse.
5 Dealing with Molds
Within 24 hours of flooding, mold starts developing. Once it has started growing, it is tough to remove them. It is necessary to deal with molds quickly. Otherwise, it spreads throughout the house. They grow in basements, closets, shower heads, etc.
Professionals deal with molds by using bleach, dehumidifiers, insulation, etc.
One may avoid further growth of mold by discarding items covered in mildew and fungi.
These steps would ensure more than 90% of damage control. One must remember that it is a collaborative effort of many individuals. The process includes both professionals and one.
Thus, cooperation and understanding are crucial.
After solving the problem, one must assess the cause of it. It is essential to determine whether the damage is old or new. Dealing with the roots of the problem is necessary to fix it permanently. Otherwise, it will occur in a loop.
Prevention is better than cure. Some of the ways to prevent Water Damage and Flooding would involve,
- Checking geyser lines and machines periodically
- Avoiding clogging basin or sink pipelines
- Not flushing non-biodegradable or water solubles items down the toilet
- Cleaning the water pipes regularly
- Checking the drainage system regularly
- Checking for damp walls and seepage
- Install a water leak detection device
- Look for areas of moisture and molds
Thus, the Emergency Flood Restoration San Diego is significant in times of water damage and flooding in the house. Quick and prompt measures are necessary for the house owners to deal with the crisis. Any delay or slack would worsen the situation. However, throughout the process, one must keep in mind that the safety and security of everybody lie above all.
Such a crisis calls in a lot of fear and anxiety, but it is essential to be patient and follow the protocol. Taking one step at a time is necessary. Thus, the Emergency Flood Restoration San Diego proves its worth time and again in times of need.
Name – Laura Harness
Laura is a marketing manager at All Star Plumbing & Restoration. With years of experience in the plumbing industry, she loves to create awareness about the causes, problems, and repair solutions of water damage and slab leak. She shares expert tips to lower utility bills and keep your AC, heater, and other appliances in optimum condition leading to longer lifespan.
Check all the recent articles and know everything about water damage repair, slab leak repair, tools to remove clogging, and HVAC appliances installation, maintenance, and repair.