Last Updated on December 9, 2022 by
Fake jewelry, also known as costume jewelry is a type of jewelry that looks like the real thing but isn’t. It is made with inexpensive materials and/or by machine and then coated to look like the expensive designer ones. Some people can’t afford or don’t want to spend a lot of money on jewelry so they purchase fake jewelry.
How to clean fake jewelry?
Cleaning your fake jewelry is very important because it keeps you from getting break outs from dirty earrings and necklaces. Even though some fake jewelry has gold plating, it will eventually wear off after several years, leaving a silver base metal underneath is when it will start to turn your skin green. The materials that are used to make fake jewelry can cause you and your family to get sick by using dangerous chemicals such as: nickel, cadmium and lead which in the long term might cause cancerous tumors.
Methods of cleaning
There are some methods by which you can clean your jewelry. Some of them are below:
You’ll need a cloth, preferably one that’s made specifically for cleaning jewelry, and warm soapy water. Check the label of your favorite cleaning solution or carefully select your own so you use it on all your costume jewelry.
Using dish detergent
One simple way of cleaning your replica pieces is by using a small bowl filled with warm water and dish detergent (non-citrus). Add enough water so that the earrings or necklaces you put into it will be covered completely. Let them sit for about 20 minutes then rinse them off gently with some cold water.
After you’re done soaking them, dry each piece off on a paper towel. Make sure all the water has been removed from them and then let them air dry for a couple of hours. If you have any extra scrubbers lying around, go ahead and use those on any parts that might have excess dirt still attached to them. This method can also be used on bracelets, earrings and rings too.
Read More: How to clean artificial grass? What are interesting tips and methods to clean the artificial grass?
Another way of cleaning your fake jewelry is by using Q-tips or toothpicks to get into smaller places where dirt usually gets trapped inside. Put some warm water into a small bowl then add a little bit of liquid hand soap (non-citrus).One end of the Q-tip and rub it around in the soapy water and then gently rub it onto any dirt spots. Do this for all of them until you see them start to get clean.
After scrubbing them, let them sit in the warm sudsy water for another 5 minutes before rinsing them off with cold water again. One thing you should definitely not do when cleaning your replica jewelry is boiled because that will most likely ruin the whole piece.
Use of vinegar
If your imitation jewelry smells bad from being exposed too much then soak it in vinegar for about an hour before cleaning it with dish soap as mentioned above. If all else fails, just throw that piece away. Don’t risk wearing something that could causes you harm by exposing yourself or your family members to dangerous chemicals found inside fake jewelry.
Steps of cleaning fake jewelry
1. Put the piece of jewelry in warm water with some dish detergent (non-citrus) and let it sit for about 20 minutes.
2. Rinse off the jewelry with cold water and dry it off on a paper towel. Let the jewels air dry for a couple of hours before wearing them again. This can be used on earrings, necklaces, bracelets and rings as well.
3. If you have an extra scrubber lying around, go ahead and use it to clean any excess dirt that may still be stuck to your replica jewelry pieces.
4. Another way to clean your fake jewelry is by using Q-tips or toothpicks to get into the smaller crevices where the dirt usually gets trapped inside.
5. Make sure to watch out for these signs when cleaning your imitation jewelry: discoloration, cracks or chips and peeling of the coating (gold or silver).
6. If all else fails, just throw that piece away. Don’t risk wearing something that could harm you by exposing yourself or your family members to dangerous chemicals found inside fake jewelry.
Tips and methods
- Fine silver, gold and costume jewelry can be beautiful if kept clean. The best way to keep it sparkling is to keep it from getting dirty in the first place.
- Don’t wear your fine or costume jewelry when doing chores or sports that will get you sweaty because perspiration contains salt which will eventually turn into a dull grey color if not washed off immediately.
- A daily dusting with a soft cloth, especially after wearing it at night before bedtime is needed. Do this over a sink so any gems that might fall out won’t go down the drain or onto the floor where they can be stepped on and break.
- In humid weather, store your jewelry in an airtight plastic bag to keep it from tarnishing.
- Wipe costume jewelry after each wearing to remove the skin oils that will hasten deterioration and loss of luster.
- Rinse the jewelry in clean water, leaving it wet. Even though you want to keep your jewelry absolutely free of dirt and chemicals, be sure to avoid using hot water. The heat can harm stones and other adornments.
- Be careful when you are with your costume jewelry because the stones are often glued in, not set properly. This means they are more likely to come loose over time.
- Store beads and other pieces in a dedicated bag or box where they won’t be scratched by other metals or gemstones. For instance, keep pearls separate from rhinestones so the latter don’t scratch the former.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How often times do we need to clean the jewelry?
You should clean the jewelry only when it is needed. Clean the jewelry with great care.
- Is there any disadvantage of cleaning jewelry?
There is no such damage to jewelry. But if you will not treat carefully then you will harm the delicate jewelry. And excess cleaning damage the texture.